Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Updates...

I know everyone has been wondering what has been happening that we have been asking for prayers this week. It's hard to update that on facebook so here is the lowdown. On Friday I went for my first doctor's appointment for this pregnancy. I was 8 weeks along and was offered an early ultrasound with the new equipment. Exciting for me, since I've never had an early ultrasound and I really wanted to have a picture of this baby to bring home and show Josh. During the ultrasound, a gestational sac was found, but no heartbeat or baby. This is typically called a blithe ovum and we were told we had miscarried and I would likely pass the pregnancy over the weekend.

Well, we were planning to leave right after our doctor's appointment to go on a long weekend of zoo visits with the boys. We were told this was fine and when I started bleeding to call the doctor so he could decide whether or not I needed to go to an emergency room or if I was doing okay on my own. If I hadn't passed it by the time we got back, a D&C would be scheduled. We left very sad and upset, but determined to salvage the weekend.

Over the weekend, I continued to have morning sickness and had no bleeding. I had a very hard time understanding how I could still feel so pregnant if I was not supporting a baby. I decided that when I got back, I was going to ask for another round of blood work, thinking this would give me a clear indication that there was no child growing. My doctor supported this and understood I did not want to end the pregnancy if there was any chance.

On Monday night I went in and got that work done and my hormone levels were 46,000. This is very good for where I am at in the pregnancy. My doctor was also impressed and scheduled another ultrasound stating that he had been surprised before and had some hope. I went for the second ultrasound on Tuesday and again, no baby or heartbeat, but my gestational sac had grown. This seemed like a clear answer to me and we planned to have a d&c scheduled for Thursday. Soon after talking with my doctor, he called me back and said he was unnerved by the whole thing. He felt my hormone levels were too high and with the sac still growing, he did not want to end this pregnancy with the chance that maybe we were missing something in the ultrasounds.

Needless to say, this has been an emotional roller coaster as I start to deal with the idea that I have lost a baby, then get another glimmer of hope from the medical profession. This would be my second miscarriage, which does not make it any easier. I see my two healthy little boys running around and know that God has a plan, but continue to question what that is.

Thank you for all of the prayers and support. I'll try to update everyone as we get clearer answers. We have another ultrasound scheduled for next Tuesday, unless my body gives us the clear answer before then.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Hey Becky, I just wanted to let you know that Joel and I will be praying for you and the rest of your family.

Caryn said...

So sorry that this happening Rebecca - you're in our thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Rebecca, I am so sorry to hear this. You will be in my prayers as you wait to find out God's will.
Christina

Mandi said...

Oh Beck, I too am sorry. Having never gone through something like this, I have no words. Know that I love you and am constantly uplifting you and your family in prayer!